WELCOME

Thursday, October 14, 2010

ROCKTOBER: WITCHGRASS

WITCHGRASS




> *What's the name of your band? What's the origin of that name? Have you
> changed the band's name before? - Witchgrass. My ex roommate was a biology major / dance minor, and she had an arboretum for one of her Plant Life classes. Witchgrass is a weed that looks like hair. I have changed the name. I used to be Girlghost, and I had another singer in the band for a while; we were called Kanahwa and The Earth and sometimes Dick Banditz when we played the He-Man Woman Hater's Club.

> *What genre of music do you consider your work to be? Who are your major
> influences? - Old time folk & blues. If not for Townes Van Zandt and Songs: Ohia, I woudn't be playing music.

> *How long have you all known each other? How did you meet? - Right now Witchgrass is just me, so I've known me for almost twenty two years! We're tight like that.

> *When did you form your band? What inspired you to make music? - I've been playing music since I was nine years old, but I guess I started writing serious songs when I was fourteen. I was a lot quieter back then. I learned to play just playing with my family on the front porch, and I guess you could say that The Appalachian Mountains were my biggest inspiration.

> *What can you tell me about your instruments? (i.e., Are you subject to
> brand loyalty or will you play with whatever's available? What made you
> choose the instruments you have now? Was it cost or was it a
> style/model/brand/color preference? - I tend to play baby / toy guitars because I have small hands, and I like the tone that they produce. I have bought two Ibanez Artcores, an AG-75 & an AM-73. They both broke in the same way, and I would buy them again, but now I know what to look out for. I tend to play whatever is on hand because since my guitars are so small and so old and meant to be toys, really, they go out of tune a lot and that's embarassing when you're in the middle of a live set. Andrew Ford (the second half of my other band, Honeydudes) and Chris Lopez have been known to act as my roadies from time to time. John Miller is always telling me to learn how to tune. I'm really trying, I just always tune somewhere around half a step up.

> *Where have you performed? What are your favorite and least favorite venues? I have played so many places I have lost count by now. My favorite venues have been: 1) Lizz King's house in Shepherdstown, West Virginia. 2) The Church in Shepherdstown, West Virginia. 3) Blue Moon Cafe in Shepherdstown, West Virginia. 4) The Farmer's Market on Sundays in Lancaster, Pennsylvania. 5) any house show, 6) Skull Fest @ The Dudio in Martinsburg, West Virginia

> *Which songs do you perform most frequently? Do you have a set play list? - I write a new setlist for every show that I play so that I never play the same show. My most popular (most requested) songs are: 1) "Rye Whiskey" 2) "Crawdad Hole" 3) "The Subtlety of Chores and Unlocked Doors" (a Des Ark cover), and 4) "Thousand Dollar Car" (a Bottle Rockets cover)

> *Who writes your songs? What are the main themes or topics for most of your
> songs? Do you think these topics will change over time? - I write all my own songs, and give credit where credit is due when I do covers. I know for a fact that these topics change over time. For instance, you can tell what I've been going through on my new album... Basically it goes like this: Mey Mey drinks too much --> Mey Mey realizes she has a drinking problem --> Mey Mey is hospitalized for drinking too much --> Mey Mey is realy sick --> Mey Mey doesn't drink so much anymore.

> *Could you briefly describe the music-making process - Sit down with guitar. Hum awkwardly while trying new chord progressions. Become frustrated that all your songs sound the same. Collect snippets from journals. Come out of it with something completely new and amazing.

> *What are your rehearsals generally like? Do you have a set time each week
> in which you practice or are rehearsals more spontaneous? --- I try to practice at least four hours a day but in reality that comes out to something like four hours a week. I haven't really played guitar or sang all summer because I've been in the hospital and they frown on that kind of thing.

> *How has your music evolved since you first began playing music together? --- I used to be very quiet and my voice was a lot higher. Then I sat down with John Miller from The Fox Hunt in a tiny room and he was yelling and playing like he was playing to thirty people, and I realized that you gotta be loud to sound confident. So my sound changed, and I think it was for the better.

> *What was your biggest challenged as a band? Have you been able to overcome
> that challenge? if so how? --- Getting over my stage fright. Basically getting over myself. I've learned not to point out my shortcomings before anyone else has a chance to.

> *What advice do you have for inspiring musicians out there? --- Don't be afraid to put yourself out there. There is the me that walks around and does normal people stuff, and then there is the character I play on stage. I like both.

> *How can fans gain access to your music? Website? cds? --- I have a CD available for purchase through email (witchgrassmusic@gmail.com) for $5.00 ("Quest for Fire", 2009; recorded by Ben Townsend, featuring Ben Townsend, John Miller, and Matt Kline of The Fox Hunt [ http:/www.myspace.com/lefoxhunt ]. You can also listen to my music at http://www.myspace.com/witchgrass and http://witchgrass.muxtape.com

> *Anyone you would like to thank for emotional or financial support? - Thanks to Uncle John for paying for Quest for Fire. Ben Townsend for recording it and playing fiddle / banjo / guitar / singing on it. John Miller for vocals and upright bass. Matt Kline for guitar on "Rex's Blues". Linda Hansen for paying the $50 fee for me to get my GED.

> *Anything else you would like to add? - If you can bring happiness to people by doing what you love, don't ever stop doing it.


Now this very talented young lady holds a spot close to my heart. Believe it or not, back in the day (being 21 do we have a "back in the day"?) We would hang out smoke a bowl and write songs, play some x box, and every now and then study for history 101. We even collaborated on a rap song together. Sneezy horsie. If I can dig it up, I will post it. However, lets get to her talent. There are not too many women out there with a voice that will cause me to get goosebumps across my skin. But Witchgrass is one of them. I am so envious of the spooky but comforting voice this young lady has. After going through some serious Medical problems, she is recently getting back to setting up her show schedule. Once I am able to get a hold of it, I will without a doubt make sure you all know.  Take a couple of minutes and give her songs a listen. You will not be disappointed!

0 comments: